Sunday, January 15, 2012

reads to start off 2012

Waiting for me ( not in vain, I hope )
If reading can be compared to taking a swig of alcoholic drink then, I'm in a perpetual daze of inebriation. Lately, I've been reading a lot and it helps that the local public library is just within walking distance from the house. Sometimes, I pick up books while out for a short run.

I decided to do away with the usual "resolution" thing that is always seem overrated at the start of every new year. Instead, I came up with this idea to write something about the books I've read lately. I'm still doing the POST-IT thing but I have yet to fill in the first page of my BOOK JOURNAL. I'm lazy, I know.

So, to begin with, I've read three books so far ( and more to come, hopefully ) I get them from the library ( now you can imagine, how my life would have turn out if this 'favorite haunt' wasn't conveniently located )

The Clan of Cave Bears ( Jean Auel )
A very slow read for me. Took me more than a week to finish this one. And I had to read another book in between to get away from it, for a bit. To break the monotony and somewhat dull pace of the story.

What keeps me going? It was interesting and you not only get to read fiction, per se, but also learn about the prehistoric people and all. And there's always that nagging thought to find out what happen next.

The Secret Letter of the Monk Who Sold His Ferrari ( Robin Sharma )
I read this one in  while reading The Clan of Cave Bears ( of course, not at the same time ). I requested this from the library a few months ago. Finally, when it was available, I started reading it, the same day I picked it up. Well, I stayed in the library for a couple of hours at that time.

A great read for me and truly inspiring. I stick POST-IT notes on different pages of the book, filled with phrases I like.

A Secret Kept (Tatiana De Rosnay )
After I've read "Sarah's Key", Tatiana De Rosnay's first book, I know then, that I like the way how she writes. It just took me more than a day to finish "Sarah's Key" and the same thing happened with "A Secret Kept".

A fast-paced read and something I can't easily put down and wait for another time to get back to it. Yes, I stayed up until midnight with this one. And save the few remaining chapters for the next day.

Anyway, this enjoyable activity has keep me preoccupied so far, aside from my other love. :-)

Who says reading is boring?


No comments: