Saturday, June 6, 2015

What dreams may come?

Ah, dreams. I used it carelessly or interchangeably with the word "goals". I have dreams.  One day, while I drive home from work, I remembered something a friend told me on Facebook, she said about my dream coming true, finally driving my own car.

"Life has a way of testing a person's will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen at once." - Paulo Coelho

When I was in Grade six I remembered telling my family that I want to be an astronaut when I grow up. This unexpected announcement was met by curious nods and looks, as if to say, "Let the child be. She doesn't know better." In high school, after having been introduced to the world of Ariel in the "Little Mermaid", I decided that I want to be a Walt Disney animator when I grow up. I mean, what's not to love about cartoons, or Winnie the Pooh, for that matter.

Then I went to university and reality starts to creep in. I have a bachelor's degree in accounting but never really get to used it. I tried and failed to pass the board examinations  to become a certified public accountant. As what my aunt told me, when a door closes, another one will open. True enough, one did and I had no qualms barging into it.

"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." - Paulo Coelho 

Years later, I found myself doing something altogether different. My dreams disappear in the midst of the craziness and mind-boggling reality of daily life. It turns out there are other important things  that carries more weight than my dreams. Yes, I still watch cartoons. And sometimes, I still wonder what it feels like to be in outer space, especially after I watched the movie "Gravity". But that's about it.

I did grow up and I realized that things change. And its up to me to keep up with it. Someone asked if I like what I do. In response, I said that it's not about liking it or not. It's more about accepting the fact that I made the decision to do it. The least I can do is make the most out of it.

As for driving a car, it is AMAZING.





No comments: