Saturday, August 27, 2011

My e-reader experience

So finally I got hold one of them e-readers. Cool, eh? Well, actually it is more than cool if I may so. I'm happy I have the opportunity to try it before I go ahead and buy one for myself. 


First, I commend the Vancouver Island Regional Library ( VIRL ) for coming up with this brilliant idea. They have this KOBO e-reader for loan to the adult reading public. How nice is that? Libraries are just awesome.


Since they first come out, I've been wanting to try one. Even went as far checking out the Chapters website and almost place an order. But something always stop me. The price, for one. And other reasons that somehow managed to make its way through my "I WANT THIS " state of mind. 
KOBO e-reader
Anyway, the day I got the e-reader, I can't wait to use it. And it's a no-brainer ( if you know how to read and follow instructions ) And the library took the time to provide a laminated help sheet to better aid the users as they go along. So, it's pretty easy to use.


And now, if anyone will ask me, would I buy one? 


Frankly, yes, if I have the extra dough to burn ( but sadly, no ) And if my reason for wanting to own one is just for the sake of keeping up with the times. 


I'd still go for the ol' real books. I like the feel of the paper against my fingers when I turn the page. I like the smell of the books. I like the different textures that a paperback has compared to the hardcover one. I like the idea of a book having its own self through its print, the kind of paper use, the images used on the inside cover or jacket. 


Convenience-wise, e-reader has its advantage. You can take it anywhere without an added weight. But then that's the only good point I can think of. Or maybe, I'm just not totally into it.


"Real" books will always be my choice. Whenever I pick a book and decide to read it, I feel that I have already establish a relationship or bond with the author and the story. And I don't feel that way with the e-reader.


Well, anyway, that's just me saying. Call me old-fashioned but I'd still go for the "real" ones.



No comments: