Monday, June 18, 2012

finally, I have my "N"

"I'm happy to tell you that you pass this time. High five!" These words from the examiner were music to my ears. I was like, "Yes!". I was so happy that day, I feel like jumping. 
When someone asked me if I have any experience in driving, I readily reply that I don't. Of course, I didn't count the time when I had four driving lessons two years ago. It was when I just got my "L" license.

I never thought that I'd ever want to learn how to drive. Where I came from, it's easy to go to places even if you don't drive and own a car. So driving has never entered my mind. But then, things changed, I'm now in a place where driving is a necessary skill and owning a car doesn't mean you're well-off. ( Or maybe it does, because you need to factor in the cost of the car, insurance, repairs and maintenance, gas, etc., )

So with the encouragement and help from a friend, I decided to take driving lessons again. This time I had every intent and desire to take and pass the road test. To pass it and get the "N" is the only way that I can legally drive here on my own or give someone a ride, with restrictions though.

For the past two months, "driving" has taken precedence in my life. I had to stop running for awhile. On top of that, I'm faced with the process of looking for a new job and starting all over again. And trying to get over a loss. My journey to acquire the "N" was  filled with frustrations. Not to mention putting up all my meager savings for driving lessons, then failing the road test twice. I was so disappointed with myself. But finally, after my third try, I made it. I pass!!!

My friend, Wanda, has been instrumental with my passing the road test. She was determined to help me get my "N". She was patient and brave enough to sit with me through all those countless hours we spent on the road, just to give me practice. And after my two failed attempts, she told me not to give up but try again. We drive some more. And when I finally pass, she smiled and said, "I'm so proud of you."

When I think about it now, my preparation for the road test was like cramming for a long exam the next day ( you know, the ones we used to get in school ) Fortunately, it work out well for me in the end.

Looking forward to "hit the road!"




No comments: