Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Power of One


"First with the head and then with the heart, you'll be ahead from the start."

Someone suggested "The Power of One" to me. Few weeks after I got it from the library, it stayed unopened. Not for a lack of interest though. I was reading another book at that time. At first, I wasn't keen to read it because the print were way too fine for me. After reading a few books in large print, my eyes have become accustomed to the nicely spaced, large font.

My boss told me  it's a good book and that I will like it. And true enough, after I read the first two chapters, I'm hooked. The fine print did not matter anymore.

The book allow me a glimpse of a time, a few years back, when I know how it feels like to hit a heavy bag and punched it like crazy, until my knuckles were raw and sometimes, bled.

I read all 530 pages of the book and enjoyed it. Even go as far as jot down phrases I like. Here's one...

"The power of one is above all things the power to believe in yourself, often well beyond any latent ability you may have previously demonstrated. The mind is the athlete; the body is simply the means it uses to run faster or longer, jump higher, shoot straighter, kick better, swim harder, hit further or box better."



No comments: