Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fall of Giants

"But you don't love your family because they're kind and considerate. You love them because they're your family." - Grigori

I first laid my eyes on this 900+ -page of a book, December of 2010. That time, it looked daunting and as I flipped through the pages, I couldn't find that spark or instant connection that I always have when I pick a book for the first time.
I haven't read a single book penned by Ken Follett until I met someone who told me about "Pillars of the Earth". It was a wonderful read and I so enjoyed it, that I tracked down "World Without End." I'm not a huge  fan of books with long and beating-around-the-bush kind of narrative. It's a turn-off for me, most of the time.

"Fall of Giants" is an exception. And after reading "Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End", I'm ready to be swept yet again, to another time long gone.

Somehow, the book let me take a peek into what happened during the First World War. And it's not mainly about history because it also touches about the frailties and quirks of man's behavior toward his fellowman.

If you don't mind reading a really long one, then you'll enjoy this first installment of Ken Follett's Century Trilogy. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Happy reading.!!!





No comments: