Wednesday, August 15, 2012

How it all began for me...

There are only few simple joys in life that I cherish and nurture. Running, for one. Food is another thing. Then there's my love for books and reading in general. I have Tiya to thank for the latter. Without her stories, years ago and her encouragement for me to read, I wouldn't have discover this wonderful and worthwhile pastime. I don't have to go to far-away places just to read.

I can't remember the exact time when I started my love affair with reading. All I know is, I've always love to read and most of the time, happier when I'm just by myself, with a good book. ( I don't need to seek the company of others when I have a great book with me. Although, I had a great time in AMUMA with my batch mates.)

At first, I was content to read Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. Then later on, I found the same story line boring. One day, Tiya gave me a paperback ( Hotel by Arthur Hailey ) and suggested I try it. I did. From then on, I was hooked.
I remember one year, I just stayed home when I'm supposed to start college. Due to reasons that I can't recall, I had to defer going to school for another year. Tiya brought me books every week and I read them all. Paperbacks. Condensed Reader's Digest. With every book was an adventure waiting for me in between the pages.

I moved from reading young-adult ( the Harry Potter series is my all-time favorite ) to more complicated and serious stuff. I'm lucky to read great writings from different excellent and wonderful authors. I've been moved to tears and  laughter. With reading, I learned a lot about the world around me. I began to learn how to think outside the box. To be open to new ideas and think things over.

I prided myself in being able to put up an indifferent countenance about certain things, except for one. I can never pretend that I don't like books or reading ( for that matter ) My reaction to the sight of books neatly stack on shelves ( either inside a library or bookstore ) always give me away. I can't say I read everything. It depends whether it interest me or not.

Reading and books will always be a part of my life. And I'll always be thankful for Tiya for sharing this wonderful gift with me.



No comments: