Saturday, August 4, 2012

I "love" the library...

"A library is a good place to go when you feel unhappy, for there, in a book, you may find encouragement and comfort. A library is a good place to go when you feel bewildered or undecided, for there, in a book, you may have your question answered. Books are good company, in sad times and happy times, for books are people---people who have managed to stay alive by hiding between the covers of a book." - E.B. White

If there's one thing I like particularly about being here in Canada---its their library. I know, this confession would prompt comments like, "The library? Big deal." I didn't realize this at first, until after a year of going to the library in Mill Bay.
One of my recent read.

When I was still in school, I was never fond of going to the library, unless it is really necessary. And I dislike the idea of spending countless hours, on a secluded corner, with a book in front of me. In no time, I will be nodding off, the book forgotten. Back then, I view going to the library as something closely related with schoolwork so it's not fun.

And where I come from, a public library is not one of the priority. The few that do exist are stocked with outdated materials and books. Besides, no one really go to this place. Reading is not a popular pastime.

So a few days after I arrived in Canada, my aunt took me to the downtown branch of the library in Nanaimo. I was amazed. I felt like I was a kid inside a toy store. That day I got my library card. I was in heaven. I marveled at all the books on the shelves.
There's something about books that makes me happy and content.

When I moved to Mill Bay, the first I did is check out the library. I was happy to know that it wasn't located far from where I'm going to stay. On my days off, I always go there. It has become one of my "happy place". Every time I step inside the library, it feels like I'm transported to another place. I like the smell of the books, especially the brand new ones. I have this crazy idea--- I'd spend a night in the library, then all the stories in the books will come to life. With one exception though, no scary stuff.

I've read a lot of good books for the past two years, thanks to the library. And the cool thing about it is I can read any book I like, without buying it ( except if I want my own copy ) For someone who thrive on reading,  like me, the library is a great thing. I don't have to go out and do stuff, to amuse myself. Besides, I am always content with a good book ( and a cup of coffee on the side ).

The library will always be one of my favorite place. And hopefully, for a very long time...





No comments: