Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Time Keeper

(Quote from The Time Keeper)

I always enjoy reading Mitch Albom's books. "The Time Keeper" is another must-read. At first, it started out slow for me, while I tried to find my footing in the story. Obviously, it is about time or the lack thereof or it being not enough. To fully appreciate what I'm trying to say here, you better read the book and see for yourself.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but the story affected me in some ways. I have always been particular about time, that sometimes, I fail to take part in what is happening around me, because I'm so wrap up about  the time ticking by or whether I'm being productive or not. I prided myself on always showing up on time, except if there are unforeseen events that I can't do anything about.
"With endless time, nothing is special. With no loss or sacrifice, we can't appreciate what we have." - ( from The Time Keeper )

After moving to Canada, I find that time just go by so fast. Whenever I go and see my sister, we both complained about there's not enough time, especially when we're having fun. But then, we know it's all part of being here. We make the best of whatever limited time we have and look forward to the next visit. So now, I don't nag her as much as I used to, when it takes her, like forever, to comb her hair or whatever she does with it. And I stop thinking of myself as being the aggrieved party, just because she takes her sweet time.

Reading the book made me realize that I need to step back a bit and enjoy each moment. Never mind that the clock is ticking nearby. ( Seriously, I can hear the second hand of my watch, counting down each minute. )

Time is something that  is outside my control. What matters is what I do with what I have. I learn to "stop and smell the roses" once in a while. And I find that, sometimes "doing nothing" is not such a bad thing after all.




No comments: