Saturday, January 5, 2013

The first few days...

So, 2013 is upon us. Like the start of every new year, the word RESOLUTION becomes too popular. You can almost hear or read about it for the entire duration of January. And perhaps, for the next few months, until people wake up from the drunken lull of the holiday season and realize that reality is here to stay.



"I made no resolutions for the New Year. The habit of making plans of criticizing, sanctioning and molding my life, is too much of a daily event for me." - Anais Nin

I always thought that resolutions are made to be broken so what's the point of making them. I mean, it's tedious enough to think of habits you want to change or things you want to do, that sometimes, the resolve to actually do them seem futile. Before you know it, resolutions goes down the drain and never heard of again.

Every new year for me is a constant reminder that I'm still here. An opportunity to be thankful and face whatever life decides to throw at me.  Anyway, I decided to come up with my own resolutions. Hopefully, it's not something I'd do only at the start of the year but will continue  in the months and years to come. God willing.

Read more and read often. I love reading that sometimes, I'd rather be doing it than doing something else. But then my life don't just revolve around books and reading so....

Write often. The fact that I'm writing this post is a good sign. I do love to write but sometimes, I just don't have the motivation or inclination to do so.

Run. Well, I really have to do this more often because I signed up for a race. And there's no better way to prepare for it than simply, run.

Just few of the things I can think of. They don't seem hard because I already love doing them. But at some point, they can get monotonous. So I think, the real challenge here, is to do them in novel ways, to spice things up. Say, I could try running in the snow, just to see how it feels.

Enough on my spiel about resolution. I think the idea behind making them ( and actually doing them, I hope ) is to recoup whatever the previous year has dealt you and start again, with a clean slate and the good sense to learn from your mistakes.  I know, it's easier said than done but then, there's no harm in trying, right? :-)

H A P P Y   N E W  Y E A R  ! ! !





No comments: