Friday, February 26, 2010

...all for reading...

I've seen this quotation  in several places lately. It's from Sven Birkert's "The Gutenberg Elegies: The Fate of Reading in an Electronic Age':


"To read, when one does so of one's own free will, is to make a volitional statement, to cast a vote; it is to posit an elsewhere and set off toward it. And like any traveling, reading is at once a movement and a comment of sorts about the place one has left. To open a book voluntarily is at some level to remark the insufficiency either of one's life or one's orientation toward it."


To what extent does this describe you?

 I'm not really sure if the above quotation describes me. All I know is that I read for the sheer joy of reading. It gives me reprieve from all the stuff that somehow manage to creep up unexpectedly. I read to be entertained and informed. And to realize that there's still more to know and learn.

No comments: