Wednesday, February 10, 2010

...let them...


How can you encourage a non-reading child to read? What about a teen-ager? Would you require books to be read in the hopes that they would enjoy them once they got into them, or offer incentives, or just suggest interesting books? If you do offer incentives and suggestions and that doesn’t work, would you then require a certain amount of reading? At what point do you just accept that your child is a non-reader?

 Reading is one me-alone activity that I always enjoy ( aside from running). Add to it my tendency to keep to myself most of the time. I could not remember being forced or given an incentive, just to read. It just came to me. It helped also that I grew up with an aunt who regaled us ( me and my cousins and younger siblings) with stories, from fairy tales to legends. I've always been fascinated with stories.

To be honest, I don't have any idea as to how I'd encourage a child or a teenager to read. I have younger siblings and nieces and nephews at home but they don't find reading interesting enough except of course, with those materials related to their school work. 

I think I'd g for offering a suggestion as what book to read, from there, it's up to the child or teenager to decide  what's next. It's best that they discover the joy of reading by themselves without pressures from anyone. That way they'll find reading more exciting and enjoyable. :-)




10 comments:

Violet said...

I'm as clueless as you are but I agree, forced reading doesn't work.

IceJewel said...

I also, was never forced to read.but, I remember my sister searching for a book of my liking and giving it to me ! I guess, after that I never stopped reading !


Heres mine

http://icejewel.blogspot.com/2010/02/booking-through-thursday-2.html

Happy reading :)

Jo said...

I think it's the 'aloneness' of reading that can put kids off.
I do agree that children need to find it for themselves but once found, getting involved with what they choose to read can help.

Michelle said...

I agree that forcing them doesn't work. I think it's just a matter of knowing the kid and doing what works for him/her.

Here's my response:
http://literarilyspeaking1.blogspot.com/2010/02/booking-through-thursday-encouragement.html

Lori said...

Bribing them sometimes works.Here's Mine

Alayne said...

I agree with you, I wouldn't ever force a child to read since that would only make them resentful. Nice answer.

I posted a Valentines related question at The Crowded Leaf if you're interested in checking it out.

Jennifer said...

I agree that forced reading is not the answer. My BTT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/02/booking-through-thursday-encouraging.html

tweezle said...

Good answer! You can't force it, no matter how much you'd like to.

I had to deal with this with my oldest child.
Here's my response.

Rachelle said...

I agree that forcing won't work - you don't want it to be another chore in a child's life. I hope my kids see reading as an escape someday - adventures just waiting to happen!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

It's a discipline (like playing an instrument) that needs to be instilled. They don't have to read 4 books per week, but if they are doing 1 per month good.

Here is mine