Thursday, March 7, 2013

February reads...

February started a bit slow for me, if we talk about reading and books. I borrowed a couple of books from the library which I didn't read. I rarely write something about the books I've read except, to say, they're good or an excellent read. And that's it.

Towards the end of February, after such a long wait and aimless wandering from one day to the next, I was fortunate enough to come across two books that I had a great time with.
I finally get hold of "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry" by Rachel Joyce. I first saw it from the Chapters website and decided that I want to read it. So I put a request at the library and then, waited. This book appealed to me because of the "long walk" ( I was curious as to how he fared at the end.) that Harold did to visit a friend that he haven't heard from for twenty years. He met a lot of people along the way and endured all sorts of discomfort. When he begun to falter, he allowed hope to keep him going and not give up. And plow ahead. In the end, he see his friend for the last time and in the process, rekindled the failing relationship he had with her wife.
"The Light Between Oceans" by M.L. Stedman has me occupied for three days. A friend read it for her book club. She told me it was good so I read it too. I'm glad I did. I always find it hard to put a good book down. "The Light Between Oceans" is one. I told myself to read just a  couple of chapters every time but I ended reading more. I even stayed up until midnight to finish it. The story is about the choices people make through the course of their lives and the consequences they have to deal with after. I feel Tom's struggle between doing what is right and his love for Isabel.

I'm glad to read these books. I enjoyed them and feel a bit lost, after I turned the last page.






No comments: