Saturday, August 15, 2009

...if being DIFFERENT is an abomination...


"We're frightened of what makes us different."-Anne Rice

I do my hair the same way for as long as I can remember since I started sporting a long 'do. I wear the same type of shirts and jeans. I don't do make-up and I am repulse to the idea of donning on a dress. ( weird?) I've been this way since I was little. I never thought that it would cause some untoward comments coming from prying eyes. I relate to people in a certain way that oftentimes construed as I am shy or something ( If they only know what's on my mind) I don't do small talk if I don't need to. I always try to follow Law # 4. I avoid attention at all cost because I abhor it. I'm good at being invisible ( of course, not physically) and retreating to my own world. Yes, I've been told that I am different because I don't do stuff others generally do. I don't gush over "teleserye" like normal people do. If I am to chose, I prefer spending my time with a good book than making perfunctory remarks I really don't mean. Of course, I'm not saying that I'm against what others are doing but it doesn't mean I want to be in it. In our society, there is always the consensus that we, in some way or another, should try to forge our conformity to what is expected from us. I'm not saying I'm all for breaking the law, no I'm not like that. I'm still a law-abiding citizen. Being different does not necessarily mean you run amok. To be different is just that---DIFFERENT. And I guess there's no reason for one to fret about it. I've learned to get used to hearing comments about me "being like this and not like that". Well, people are always bound to make remarks ( myself included), the trick there is how not to let it get to you. ( I've heard a comment about me which prompted this post, how's that for not letting it get to you?)....

"If being DIFFERENT is an abomination then, all the more reason to be one."

No comments: