Thursday, August 13, 2009

...remembering my Lola...


"Grandmother-grandchild relationships are simple. Grandmas are short on criticism and long on love."-- Author Unknown

Today is my Lola's birthday. She would have been 95. I grew up so attached to my grandmother that it seemed like I was never going to be away from her. She doted on me to the point of being her favorite among her grandchildren. She was always there for me and at that time, I really did not care about anything as long as she was there. I could never do wrong in my Lola's eyes. I've done a lot of mischief in my youth, but it was tempered by my Lola's admonition. I could not recall any instance that she scolded me. She was there when I got drunk for the first time, while I was bawling my eyes out, mumbling about going to New York; Lola was there, whispering words of comfort, until I fall asleep. She took it upon herself to give me “baon” for school. My being a morning person, I think, I got it from her. She always tells me that it’s not good to wake up very late ( true enough, my mother has no problem with me when it comes to getting out of bed during school days, most often, I even wake up ahead of her). My grandmother has told me a lot of things that nowadays can be construed as old wives’ tale. But then, sometimes, there’s some grain of truth in it, it's just up to me to discern it. There are some aspects of what I am right now that would have not been there if my Lola was not around while I was growing up. She had given me something far better than any material thing and sometimes (especially those times when I badly needs someone to just be there) I wish she’s still here. Too bad, I really did not give much attention to her when she was still around, I was too eager at that time to leave home and to attend college in another place.
Lola will always be a part of me albeit she's gone now. Happy birthday, Granny.

No comments: