Tuesday, August 18, 2009

...to kill a mockingbird...


I have read "To Kill A Mockingbird" a long time ago. It was suggested by my aunt. We shared this same passion when it comes to reading. Even before I started to read it, she give me a rundown of what the story was all about and she concluded that it's a classic and a good read. I take her word for it. True enough, I was captivated by the story and entertained, much more that it was told through a child's point of view.
After a time, I forgot all about that book. I left home to live in another city. Then, one day, while I was browsing for something noteworthy to read on the Internet, I chanced upon this site "World's Strongest Librarian". I find it entertaining and insightful. I read about his book reviews and there was one about TKAM. That set me off, I was eager to read the book again. After reading Josh's review of TKAM, I went out to look for the book at BOOKSALE ( to no avail) and eventually bought one from National Bookstore.
I'm not going to write here a review of my own because you're better off reading Josh' review at his site. I'm just going to share my experience while reading the book for the second time. I always have this thing when I read, that is being transported to the story. I feel like I'm a silent onlooker while the story unfolds. I forget about the time and sometimes, hunger( and that's unheard of me). Well, somehow, I can relate to Scout's ( lead character) dilemma when it comes to behaving herself as she deemed fit as compared to what was expected from her by the society she belonged to. To me that is complicated but Scout managed to overcome it with the help of her father. Scout was mindful of how people who belong to the so-called "elite" society treated those that were on the lower rungs of the social ladder. According to her, "I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks."
If you haven't read the book yet, I suggest that you do so. And see for yourself why it is such a classic story....
"They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience. "
-spoken by the character Atticus

No comments: