Friday, July 2, 2010

...July, the man...

"What do I owe my father? Everything." - Henry Van Dyke

"I've had a hard life, but my hardships are nothing against the hardships that my father went through in order to get me to where I started." - Bertrand Hubbard

"It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was." - Anne Sexton


Today is my father's 61st birthday and a week from now would be his 4th death anniversary. What a way to start the month of July, for us, anyway. It has been four years since my father passed away but there are times that I think about him as if he's still around. I recalled some moments with him vividly. My all-time favorite was the slide at the children playground.

I sometimes think it's unfair that, now when I can see him under a different light, he's not around to appreciate it anymore. And it is something I will always regret the most.

I've had a rocky relationship with my father so his untimely passing without much of parting word on my part was something I have still to reconcile up to now. And there's nothing much I can do about except grieve at times when I let down my guard. And move on, I suppose.

Words are not enough to extol all what my father did with his life. He was far from perfect since he had his own share of shortcomings. No doubt about it, my siblings and I owe it all to the man, who decided to have us, in whatever circumstances.

"It's only when you grow up and step back from him- or leave him for your own home-it's only then that you can measure his great-ness and fully appreciate it." - Margaret Truman

No comments: