Wednesday, June 23, 2010

...I got my L...

This does not stand for "Loser". It simply means that I'm a LEARNER.
In all of my thirty three years of existence, learning how to drive a car has never entered my mind. I was contented to commute ( be it PUJ, taxis or tricycle). Driving is least important until I arrived in Canada.

Weeks after living here, my Aunt has been egging me to learn how to drive. She told me that it is imperative that I learn how and should not depend on her to give us a ride, wherever we want to go. She's right. So, I read a book about driving here ( about traffic signs, rules and regulations, etc ), not really read but just skimmed it over. I also practiced answering sample question online posted on the ICBC website.

So yesterday, I decided to take the knowledge test. I will answer 50 multiple questions and needs 80% correct answers to pass. Mama accompanied me to the office where I applied to take the exam and paid the necessary fee. I had my photo taken and my eyes checked. How cool is that. And mind you, there's no never-ending line of people to contend with. I stood in front a computer monitor and just followed the instructions that appeared on the screen. No hassle. After more than ten minutes, the word CONGRATULATIONS appeared on the screen. Yippee, I made it. :-)

"You don't look like you passed the exam," the lady who processed my application remarked with a smile. I guess my face did not show it but I was happy I passed. I mean the $15 I paid did not go to waste. Afterward, I went to another counter and sign on some digital thing for my signature on my Learner's ID, which I will receive 30 days after. Then the lady gave me a package containing another book, a copy of penalty and fines and other write-ups about driving and of course the red L sign. She told me a rundown of things I should follow while driving, then said "Have fun." I said "Thank you" in reply.
What's inside the package.
I went to where Mama was seated while waiting for me. I told her I passed the exam. She was all smile and gave me a hug. "Congrats 'ta," she said, smiling. I keep saying "Yes", while we're making our way toward her car. Now I can start taking driving lessons and finally, learn to drive.

I have one year to practice driving and know all the traffic rules and regulations. And when I feel confident enough, then I can book for a road test. But before I'll do that, I need to attend to more pressing matter at hand, look for someone to teach me to drive and familiarize myself with driving.

Anyway, a big thanks to Mama, for accompanying me yesterday and treat me to lunch afterward. Thanks, 'Ma.




No comments: