Wednesday, June 16, 2010

...learning to bike...

I have watched  people who ride bikes, at first with a certain degree of disinterest, probably because I don't know how to get on one to begin with. And this indifference continued until I came here. The place where I currently resides has lanes intended for bikes. Add to that are the various trails that can be found in the city.

When the weather is bright and sunny, you will not fail to see one or two individuals in complete gears, riding their bikes. I begun to wonder how does it feel to ride one. It must be fun, I thought to myself. Then I started  thinking about learning how to ride a bike.

Then out of the blue, without any planning on my part, I get to ride in one. The folks I work for are kind enough to show me how. And all I say is that it was..."AWESOME" I enjoy the rush of adrenaline as I pedaled and swerved left to right while steering the bike in the right direction. A couple of times, I slammed into a bush on the side of the road but thank God, I did not fall. Instead of using the hand brakes, I instinctively put both of my feet on the ground to stop the bike, which was not really a good idea especially if you're going too fast.

All in all, it was a great experience for me. I never thought how such a small thing ( to others, I suppose ) like riding a bike can be so exhilarating and so much fun. I felt like a kid again, if only at that moment. I can't wait to ride again.



No comments: