Thursday, August 5, 2010

...can't forget my first time...

What is the first book you remember reading? What about the first that made you really love reading?


I really can't  remember the exact moment I fell in love with reading. All I know is that I enjoyed reading to the point of choosing it over some other activities. I grew up with my Aunt's storytelling (TV and Internet were unheard of at that time ), naturally I would be drawn to books. During my first year in high school, I read every ( almost, I suppose )  Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys novels I could borrow from the library. I was hooked. And wanted some more.
One summer, my Aunt suggested a book to me ( well, it was really hers ). She told me to give it a try. I guess she could sense that I was ready to move on to more serious stuff. Hotel by Arthur Hailey, was the first "serious" book I've read. After that, I never looked back. For that entire summer, my Aunt let me borrow her books, from paperback novels to hardbound condensed Reader's Digest books. I was in cloud nine.

Through out high school, I borrowed every book I can think of from the library, on weekends. I never stopped reading. Until now, I'm still so into it. I know I'll never get tired of reading. I have an ongoing love/love relationship with it. And I have no plans of giving it up.


1 comment:

gautami tripathy said...

I liked Hotel. I remember reading it long time back.

I can’t recall my first book but I do recall that, I was hooked on Enid Blyton. She, in a way, has influenced my interest in Crime fiction.

Then I used to devour the Nancy Drew books along with Hardy Boys. However, but those came much later.

Here is my BTT: First Time post!