Tuesday, October 5, 2010

...one fine weekend with sister...

 My lunch of choice. Somewhat messy plate of Vietnamese fare( roll, tofu in tomato sauce, rice and veggies)
Since arriving here almost seven months ago, it was always my sister who visited me in the island during her days off. I've been to the mainland twice but not by myself.

Last Thursday, out of the blue, I decided to pay my sister a visit. Since I have free time at the moment, why not? Plus, I find the thought of going on a trip alone, appealing and somewhat refreshing. Friday afternoon, I found myself in the 3:10 PM ferry trip to Horseshoe Bay. My sister and I agreed that, she will meet me downtown. I was filled with anticipation and excitement. It was kind of strange.
 Lions Gate Bridge. Reminds me of Brooklyn Bridge in NYC. Coincidence?
The moment I got off the bus, there was a surge of adrenaline rush. People just came rushing either way. Then I saw my sister on the corner and we were all smiles. I felt like I was in NYC ( just keep dreaming) while walking on the streets of downtown Vancouver.
 Reminded me of some scenes in a movie.
We spent the whole Saturday afternoon at Stanley Park. We had lunch at Pacific Center then walked toward the park, afterward. It was a perfect day to be out and about. I had my jacket on even if it was kind of warm. The only downside of that visit was my headache which I had the moment I got off the bus Friday evening until Saturday mid-morning. But I paid it no mind. The sights of Stanley Park is just awesome. I took a lot of pictures and covered more than 10 kilometers ( I think) on foot. My sister and I were both dog-tired when we finally got home. She complained about her feet hurting. My legs hurt too and I even snored when I was asleep that night ( which I rarely does). The next morning, I felt like I ran a marathon the day before.
 Sister and I. The only photo we had, together. A stranger took this one.
 I had a great visit with my sister. Getting on the SkyTrain was nauseating to me but I got no choice. Watching her, navigating through the streets, with me behind, I can say that she's pretty well-adjusted with the fast-paced city life. She even told me that she'd prefer residing there compared to the island.
 She had fun.
While I nursed my headache, I arrived at the conclusion that maybe, I'm not cut-out for the hustle and bustle of city life, that probably, I'm already attuned to the laid-back life I have in the island.

Anyway, I have plans of going back there again. And go back to Stanley Park. :-)

Well, let's see.:-)


No comments: