Saturday, January 16, 2010

...there's always the first time...


cool fireworks display
In all the years of my stay here in Cebu City, I never ventured outside during the Sinulog celebration. I preferred to just lock myself inside my room, oblivious to the noise and festivity outside. No, I'm not anti-social or anything, I just don't want to be in the midst of a crowd. Being surrounded with too many people makes me feel claustrophobic. And this went on until yesterday. I decided to do something new for the first time. I told Joy that I'd like to join the procession ( though we just waited for it to pass by our place and we walked the rest of the way to the Basilica del Sto. NiÑo)


the Cathedral's altar
It was my first time to be out at that time, yesterday. Even if the weather was not that good, there was a slight drizzle, still people came out. Some were carrying the images of Sr. Sto. NiÑo in various sizes and some of them were dressed not the in the usual garb. I was surprised and amazed. For the first time, I did not mind the crowd and the rain, the humidity. I was all game for it. Joy kept asking if I'm okay. I told her I'm fine. While we were making our way toward the church, albeit at a snail-paced, perspiration started to trickle down my back but I paid it no attention.


with our balloons


Joy
 Since we were doing a lot of walking, I decided to put on my running shoes and I was right. My feet did not feel that tired except for the part when we had to stand for almost an hour, outside the church, while the mass was going on inside. It's a good thing we were able to hear mass in the Cathedral beforehand.


they all came out


to show their devotion to Sr. Sto. NiÑo
The fireworks display after the mass in Basilica was awesome. I stood there, my head turned up to look at the sky, filled with bright colors and all. I felt like a child, standing there, delighted at the spectacle I was witnessing. ( I wish AJ and the rest of the brood were there, I'm sure they will be happy to see it ). After the fireworks, the Sinulog dance followed. We wiggled our way toward the entrance of the church and there, my companions started dancing with matching shouts of "Viva Pit SeÑor!" I did not dance but I was happy to be there. I looked around at the people around me and I surmised that they were all happy to be there. Some waved their hands while dancing, others raised the images of Sto. NiÑo as they danced along to the beat.

Despite my aching legs afterward, I was happy to be out there. For once, I realized I did the right thing.

Pit SeÑor!!!!


No comments: