Monday, May 17, 2010

...doesn't matter...


Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about movies based on books…

What happens when you see a movie based on a book/story, especially one you’ve not read? Do you feel the need to track it down and read it?

 For me, it is usually the other way around, I first read the book then watch its film adaption. Sometimes, the movie live up to what was in the book but often, it does not. Which I think is not surprising since it is quite a difficult task to fit a more than a hundred or so pages  of story into  more than an hour length movie.

There was one instance when I watched a movie, "The Secret Life of Bees". Later, I learned that it was based on a book of the same title. I had it in mind to read the book too but I was not in hurry to get hold of  it Months passed, then I chanced upon a pile of used books inside a mall. The books were to be sold in an upcoming book sale. I always get distracted at the sight of books, they always have that hold on me. So anyway, I found "The Secret Life of Bees". It took me more than a week to finished reading the book. 

While reading it, the characters come to life in my mind and it also helped that I saw the movie already.

Watching a movie based on a book has the same effect to me as to one not adapted from a book. It boils down to this--did I like the movie or not.




No comments: