Tuesday, May 4, 2010

...one fine day in Vancouver...

 How the weather looked, minutes after we left Nanaimo. Gloomy, eh?
 Funny how unplanned things can worm its way through your daily routine but in the end, give you some new insights toward other new things. I know I sound like I'm talking crazy right now. No, I'm not drunk or something. Probably I'm still experiencing the after effects of having spend an entire day in a big city. Please note that I don't live in the mountains but in fact, I also live in a city. A city in an island. Good, so far?
The bustling Burrard St. The only street I get to snap pictures of after my hands feel slightly warm.
When I arrived in Vancouver for the first time, it was already night time plus it was very, very cold. I did not get to see the city in its entirety except on the streets we passed by at that time. And the next day, we left for Nanaimo. That was it. And I haven't been back there since last Monday, with Mama. The moment we stepped out from the ferry, I was pumped with adrenaline. People here moved in a rush.

I woke up early that day since we will be taking the first trip which was 6:30 in the morning. Mama decided to bring along her car and we just left it in the ferry terminal's parking area after paying the appropriate parking fee. It was a good idea because we don't have to wait for the bus anymore. ( By the way, the buses here have schedules, so you can not just get on one, anytime you like.) The short walk to the ferry terminal from the parking area was very cold. I had on a t-shirt and jacket but it was not enough. The chilly wind seemed to seep right through my clothing. I even forgot to bring my gloves. Mama reminded me to be always ready since the weather here is unpredictable.

The one and half hour trip from Nanaimo to Vancouver was uneventful, except for the occasional thud I felt when the ferry encountered a big wave. The seas were choppy that day and I felt dizzy for a bit but I just slept it off.

Here are some snapshots I managed to take during that day...
inside the church

typical Filipino lunch or should I say, feast?

totem pole

a pretty sight from the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal
We arrived in Horseshoe Bay at thirty minutes past eight in the morning. We made our way from the ferry terminal and step outside in a hurry. When we got to the bus stop, there was already queue of people waiting to board the bus. I'm glad we made it to the bus. The exact amount of coins for our fare was already ready and I was excited when I slid down the coins into the slot then waited for our bus ticket. So this is how it's done. My first time to get on one, actually.

The bus ride from Horseshoe Bay to downtown Vancouver was okay except for the fact that I had to sit beside a man whom I think haven't showered in ages and reeked of cigarette. I turned my head the other way and pretended to watched the scenery outside. One of the downside of using the public transport.

Mama and I get off from the bus on the street near Stef's place. I forgot the name of that street. And I even forgot to snap some pictures while we were walking around because I was busy tucking my hands inside my jacket pocket. My face felt numb due to the chilly air. I had to turn up my jacket collar to ward off the cold. Very bad of me to forget my scarf. I saw all the people walking around, still bundled up and this is supposed to be spring time already.

I went to Vancouver but not to sight see. One day is not enough, I surmised. I went there just to accompany Mama with her doctor's appointment. And after that, we went to a Filipino store and grab some lunch, Pinoy style. Then we were off to catch the bus that will take us to the train station and from there, we would get on the train that will take us back to downtown. Mama's Iphone comes in handy when I used the Google Maps application on it. For the first time, I appreciate the genius mind behind Google Maps. :-) Good thing that when we got to the bus stop, the bus going to Horseshoe Bay was already there and we did not have to wait for a long time.

The weather in Vancouver that day was perfect. The sun was out in all its glory. The only thing that puts a damper on the good weather was the fact it was very windy and very cold. I could not help but shiver while we stood there, waiting for the bus. ( Note to self, bring extra jacket or shirt next time.)

All in all, my unplanned jaunt to the big city turned out great. Plus, I get to met my cousin, Carla, on the ferry, where she works, by the way.

I'm thinking of going back there and let my sister show me around the city. It's just a plan though, at the moment. Let's just see how it goes. :-)


No comments: