Monday, September 21, 2009

...in my life...

I watched "In My Life" this afternoon. With a spur of the moment decision, I found myself, lingering near the ticket counter of Ayala cinema. Actually, it was Joy who lined up and bought the tickets. I've heard about the hype this movie has created in the local showbiz scene. People gushed over the performance of Luis Manzano and John Lloyd Cruz, the two lead actors and their much talk about "kissing scene." I was a little bit curious and I want to find out, what foreign movie it was "based" on, if it is. Another factor that also egged me on to watch this movie was the location it was filmed, New York City. The movie was a typical Filipino story. It was top grossing on its opening day. I enjoyed the sights of New york City. The actors' performance was commendable but I will not extol on it so much.

I just wondered why there was so much excitement on the "kissing scene". I mean, I did not see them kissing or I guess was just not paying attention. I'd like to point out that the scene where Mark was suddenly hit by a car which resulted to his untimely death, seemed familiar. I know I've seen it somewhere before. I just can't place it where.

The movie is not only about the love between the two gay lovers. It also touched on the feelings of a mother toward her children. There was one scene in the movie which I particularly like.It was the scene where Shirley was telling Noel how the role of a mother will not peter out, no matter how she comes close to giving up. That scene, prompted me to recall one conversation I had with my mother. She told me how tired she was of my younger siblings' constant squabbling and quarreling. In between sobs, she related to me how she wish she can just go and leave them all behind to fend for themselves. I patiently listened to her. I know she was just fed up at that time and she just wanted to voice out her feelings and frustrations. Deep inside, I know my mother can not just leave. No matter how tired and fed up she may be, she has always stayed and stood by us. And not just because she is oblige to but because, in the only way she know how, she loves and cares for us. When I was younger, I used to tell myself that I'm never going to be like my mother, now I realized, how unlucky we could have been if she was an iota like me.

Anyway, this is my second time to watch a movie in the big screen. I must say, for what it's worth, the movie showed something that hit home in me. And I think shelling out P140 is not too much, if in return, you get reminded of some things in your life that you somehow ignored and dismissed as trifle matters.

No comments: