Tuesday, December 15, 2009

...first day...


I woke up to the sound of my alarm. I was reluctant to get out of bed, my eyes were still heavy with sleep. I lingered for awhile in bed then slowly got up. My watch read three o'clock. Yes, I was up that early. I headed to the shower and thankfully, I was finally awake. I made myself a cup of coffee and sip this while I dressed. I read a few pages of Paulo Coelho's book while waiting for the time.At exactly four o'clock, Joy and I stepped outside and headed to Redemptorist.

Today is the start of the nine day novena masses, popularly known as "Misa de Gallo" or "Simbang Gabi". Some cynics noted, why it is called Simbang Gabi when in fact, the mass is held early in the morning. Come to think of it, I myself, ask this more than once. This tradition is practiced predominantly by Roman Catholics. I have yet to hear of other denomination or group who also celebrate these dawn masses.

No one is forced to attend Simbang Gabi. I mean, everyone who come to church daily from Dec. 16 until Dec. 24, come at their own volition. Anyone can wake up early and attend mass but the challenging part, is to be able to sustain until the ninth day.

We arrived at the church, an hour before the mass is scheduled to start. There are already a lot of people inside and the pews on the front were already occupied. Fortunately, our favorite spot was still empty. Cool. Why it is my favorite spot? It is just situated on the middle and near a wall fan. It's perfect for me.

The mass started on time. The church was brightly lit, far from the usual Sunday morning I went there to hear mass. Another thing, it was jam-packed. Since it was the first day, most people are inclined to attend.

I intend to complete the nine days, hopefully. And not because of a particular favor that I'd like God to grant. It's just something I need to do and my way of saying thanks. :-)

3 comments:

रजनीश said...

Chrestina, i am fan of your blog. Oh, what a pretty writings. Easy to read, easy to understand like an wave of cool winds. Thanks.........keep it up....

crestina said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog. I'll try to keep writing more posts...:-)

Anonymous said...

SUCH A SOOTHING WRITING..IT MADE ME AWAKE...