Monday, December 7, 2009

...Pssst...Silence Please...





For the regular library patrons among us: do you have your own idea of what constitutes proper library etiquette? Is there anything you always try to do? Anything you hate when others do?

The only time I went to a library was when during high school, but only to do some research for a school assignment. I never went to a library just to read. I had spent an ample time there though, enough for me to noticed that there are some people who just don't realized that they are in the library. Some students trooped to this place just to rehashed every gossip they have gathered for that day and they were oblivious to the stern looks of the librarian, directed at them, when they got noisy. And for some, the library is some neat place to take a nap. I have been tempted once to sleep that's why I did not stay in the library more often.

If I have my say with regards to proper library etiquette, I will impose some way of making an inquiry as to one's true intention of going inside the library and that is to read. If someone will just go there to make unnecessary noise or just fall asleep, then that person will not be allowed to enter. Pretty harsh, huh.

At present, I've never been inside a library, not even once, since I graduated from college. I do all my readings in the comfort and privacy of my bedroom. There's a  public library near my place, just walking distance, but I never venture there though I was thinking about of going. You see, libraries here are no big deal, especially those put up by the government. All you will see are just worn out books, with pages yellowed with time. Besides, I'm sure I'm not going to find the books I would love to read. I'm better off buying my own books from BookSale or borrow from friends.



3 comments:

cessie said...

I completely agree with your rules for the library. I guess that's what people are looking for in a library.

I'm not a regular library goer anymore. I used to be. And I still have fond memories of the afternoons spent in the library.
But these days I never seem to have enough time to finish reading a book before its due date at the library and to avoid fines I get my books at other places and read them at home (or wherever).

crestina said...

Hi, Cessie, thanks for dropping by. It would be cool, I guess, to step inside a library again, at this time.
Bu then, I'm pretty content with my bedroom, so I'll just stick with it.

For the read-a-thon, I am sure to join next time and I will be well-prepared at that time, hopefully. :-)

caite said...

I guess we are lucky to have pretty darn good libraries.
I never used them until recently because I really thought I needed to control my book buying. it did not actually work...I buy books and go to the library...

I don't read there. I too prefer to read in the comfort of my home.