Wednesday, November 11, 2009

...i'm done with best friends...

I've recently concluded reading the book entitled "Best Friends" by Martha Moody. Later on, I realized that the reason I picked it up  from BookSale, was its title. I got interested even if part of its cover was torn.Though I did not get to read it at once since I was still reading "The Lost Symbol" at that time.

"Best Friends" relates the story about two women who are best friends since college. Their friendship continued to flourish on in their adult lives, amidst family, marriage, children, divorce, deaths, births and other mundane stuff that goes by every adult's life.


What started out as a seeming chance encounter turned out to be a long lasting relationship---a friendship.

I am amused of the notion that two people should  have the same interest for them to be friends. I, for one, would be drawn to someone I share the same passion about something but it does not mean that I want to be friends with that particular person.

Growing up, I did not have an inkling as to what is a friend all about. My ideas, if I had any at that time, came from stories I read or from the movies I watched. Growing up, I never had a friend or a best friend.

Reading the story open me up to the realization that being friends with someone does not  necessarily mean that you should be both exactly the same. Friends should compliment and complement each other. And being friends does not end when you've outgrown each others likes or dislikes. Distance does not mean anything when you are committed to keep in touch. Being friends with someone does not give you exclusive rights to that person, you all have your own lives to live. And sometimes, it helps to have a friend who just listens as  oppose to someone  gabbing nonstop.

I have yet to improve on my relationship with friends. And I can be so dense sometimes.

Just a thought, so how do you fare with your friends?

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Anais Nin







No comments: