Thursday, November 19, 2009

...my thought on this...


 Do you think any current author is of the same caliber as Dickens, Austen, Bronte or any of the classic authors? If so, who and why do you think so? If not, why not? What books from this era might be read 100 years from now?

I think I'm not in the position to really identify current authors to be of the same caliber with the classic ones. To be honest, I'm still at a loss sometimes, in understanding why authors aand their works  from decades ago are considered classic, because when I tried reading one, I ended stopping halfway. Case in point, Jane Austen's Mansfield Park, which until now, I haven't finished reading yet. I pondered on my delay in tackling this particular book. I was led to think that maybe it is too much for my brain to grasp or I just lost interest in it. That remains to be seen.

On the other hand, the book I'm currently reading now is a classic. Charles Dickens' Great Expectations. Surprisingly, I stick to it. I am in Chapter 36 at the moment. And I intend to finish this one because I enjoyed reading it for the past few days.

There are a lot books that I hope will still be read 100 years from now. Those by John Grisham, Stephen King and J.K. Rowling, to name a few. I wonder what will the generation of that time will think of the authors of today.

1 comment:

Alayne said...

King and Rowling seem to be to the most popular listed so far. Here's my link: http://thecrowdedleaf.wordpress.com/