Tuesday, November 10, 2009

...Mulan in a nutshell...

 " The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all."



Watching cartoons has always been my favorite since I was in high school. But not all cartoons are created equal. I tend to go for those from which I can glean some valuable lessons--underneath all those wacky and exaggerated  actions and noises.

I've always been a fan of Disney animation. I even go as far as dreaming of becoming a Walt Disney animator. I recalled watching The Little Mermaid countless times, way back when I was still a sophomore in high school. I certainly memorized some lines and would sing along with Sebastian's "Under the Sea." And who could forget Ariel's rendition of "Part Of Your World."

When another Disney movie, Mulan was released, I was more than ecstatic. Mulan's character is not like those of other Disney's characters of damsel in distress. She  needed no rescuing, in fact she was doing all the rescuing. She did not sleep for a hundred of years ( am I correct on this? ) to be awaken by a Prince's kiss. I like the fact that Mulan comes out as a pretty strong and determined young woman. In the movie, she was forced to disguise as a man to take her ailing father's place in the army. Later on, when her cover was blown, all turned their backs at her. Mulan is not the type to sink in a corner and wallow in despair. In the end, she was able to prove that though she is a woman, she is capable of doing things that men can do. And on top of that, the emperor was impressed by her.

Mulan knew how hard it is to be a woman at that time. Everything were pinned on her to bring her family honor, by finding and eventually settling down with a husband. I can't help but think that somehow that scenario still holds true today, I guess at least not in a blatant way. Women prim themselves and fuss over to "exhaustion" to land a "good catch". And hypocrites sugarcoat it with just about any sweet nothings that comes in handy.

I was drawn to the movie and still am today. In fact, I watched it again yesterday and thus prompted me to write this post.

I realize that when you deviate from what is expected from you, you will be branded as different, whatever that means. I admire Mulan's tenacity to be true and stand for herself. Not to mention being smart and having the guts to speak her mind...



No comments: