Friday, November 6, 2009

...time with family...


 Nanay, Joy, Tiya and Yen-yen
The older I get the more I realized that in a way  being with family is just that, plain and simple, being with them. I always have this grand ideas of what I will do once I plan to hie off and visit my folks. And I say, grand ideas, since what I usually do when I'm home is just sleep. Let me share this particular information, I belong in a very big family. There's always constant commotion and noise, except at night, when all are sound asleep. I realized early on that sleeping through all the chaos and noise, leave me undisturbed for the entire duration of my stay.

 PG and the Furious Three ( Mokang, JR and AJ )
Last weekend, I found myself, dozing off on the fast craft ferry en route to Ormoc City. My nieces, AJ and Mokang, met us at the pier. They've changed. When we got home, the dreaded commotion started. I exchanged pleasantries with all of them, except for my baby nephew, whom I just took  from his mother and carry in my arms. I was amused at the he looked at me. I saw him last when he was still a month old, now he's already seven months old. The way he looked at every one in the house intrigued me and always the butt of our jokes.

My reason for going home last weekend is not really to see them per se. ( Yes, very bad of me.) Again, I just want to sleep. And in fact, I did. My mother even complained about it. She asked me if I'm not getting enough sleep.

with my nephew, TJ
Anyway, it was also All Souls' day so we went to the cemetery to visit my grandmother and father's grave. We decided to go early in the morning to avoid the crowd, later in the day.

There's a downside of being home. I am forced to witness the constant arguments, my younger siblings, have a knack for. They argue on almost anything. They're like ticking bombs, that with slight provocation, immediately sets them off. Worst, my mother has to be the go-between and sometimes taking the brunt of the fight. The night I was set to leave, another argument ensued. What a perfect send off, I thought to myself.

best friend, AJ
Anyway, that's how my brief stay at home always amount to. My grand ideas set aside. Sleep overtook everything. But since, we're a family who's not big into emotions, to us, it's nothing. Arguing is arguing. Then we make up.Argue again, then make up. The cycle goes on, until when, no one knows.

No comments: