Tuesday, July 21, 2009

..."are you lonesome tonight?"...


I'm a fan( though I've only read of his book entitled "The Alchemist", thanks to a friend) of Paulo Coelho in Facebook and I came across his forum on loneliness. So I come up with my thoughts on being alone or loneliness ( I'm not sure if they are the same thing).
For my part, I have no problem being alone ( except of course, if I am left alone some place in the middle of nowhere and its dark, then I go crazy). I thrive on being alone. Sometimes, I think that I am made this way because I am meant to be just alone( and I don't say that with a a sad note). It's no big deal if I am alone all the time. I can go on for days without talking to any single soul---except, probably for those perfunctory conversations I have to make when I have to go outside and need to do some tasks. Loneliness is not something I view as some dim prospect for myself. On the contrary, I welcomed it wholeheartedly. Sure, there are times that I feel that I need to talk to someone about nothing in particular but then, it rarely happens. I'm not the type who can easily open up to someone. Probably it is for this reason that I'm not into relationship, for to be in one, you will never be alone. There's always this other person who expects something from you.
I love being alone because I don't have to go to the rigor of being sociable. I don't have to put up pretenses of enjoying someone's company. For some, this might look as odd. But then, we have our own quirkiness and mine just happen to be this. One might ask if I do ever get lonely, frankly, I don't even know how that feels....

No comments: